Sunday, May 31, 2020

Visit Bosnia and Herzegovina

Well, hello there! After missing last week's food theme (even though you are talking to a real foodie here), here I am back again this week with stamps featuring things made of wood...

Not an easy, but a challenging theme, for which I decided to present these two FDCs featuring EUROPA stamps from Bosnia and Herzegovina from 2012, when EUROPA's subject was "Visit..." and of course, places in the country shown that are worth visiting" 

There are plenty of reasons of why you should visit Bosnia and Herzegovina, so whether you are into nature or history or food or cityscapes, there is definitely something for everyone.

Do you have a favourite type of trip? I am up for anything, as long as it is a chance to travel, esp. to a place I've never been before...

I guess it was a tough choice of what to choose for these stamps... and I won't argue whether it was the right one or not, but I so much love the design of these, that they would be like enough to tickle my curiosity and make me wanna go and see it myself







The first FDC features the two single stamps, while the second one the miniature sheet.



While it may not be obvious at first, on the left stamp you can see probably the most prominent spot in the Old Town of Sarajevo, that is the Sebilj,  a pseudo-Ottoman-style wooden fountain (sebil) built first by Mehmed Pasha Kukavica in 1753. According to the sources, it had unfortunately burnt down in a fire in 1852, and years later was relocated at this spot according to a scheme of the Austrian-Hungarian Architect Alexnander Wittek, who worked in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
'
And here is me in front of the Sebilj, on a rare occasion of empty stairs, so one can take a decent picture without a crowd of people around... and you can make a relation to the actual stamp above...

 

And while we are at it, the other stamp in the set shows the beautiful waterfall of Kravica, so I'll just use the opportunity to add an additional personal touch to this post, that is, of course, me with the waterfalls behind (my vanity is at a high level today 😇)






Too add more wooden items to the theme, you have the small wooden boat and the wooden wine barrel, as well as the wooden window frames...


If you are curious about some other things made of wood that are featured on stamps, pop over to Sunday Stamps 


5 comments:

  1. I have never seen a fountain like this! Is it still functional?
    I agree, these stamps - and the FDCs are so beautiful.
    My favourite destination would be somewhere with unique architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The window frame stamps are wonderful.

    And I, too, have questions about a wooden fountain :)

    Love to visit all manner of cities with some things planned, but lots of time built in to just wander, and making sure for some 'down time'. Feels like a lifetime ago right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice stamps. I'd like to see that fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was surprised to see the wooden fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the pouring pot, always love a view through a window. Looks a glorious day at the waterfall, yes that would tempt me for a visit.

    ReplyDelete