Sunday, June 14, 2020

Brides in traditional costumes, India

I almost did a wrong theme today, that is, I almost did a future post two weeks ahead and was trying to find something suitable for anniversaries.

Then I went over to Sunday Stamps to check if and what others have posted, in order not to overlap ... and I was seeing fireworks... got me a bit confused... ok, there may be fireworks when commemorating some anniversary, but still, something didn't click right... and of course it wasnt right when I have misread the topic... at least I figured it out in time 😎

 


So, to make this topic right, I have this FDC from India, with these four stamps issued almost 40 years ago, on 30.12. 1980, showing different bridal traditional costumes, from different Indian regions, namely, Kashmir and Bengal in the top row, and Rajasthan and Tamilnadu in the bottom row.

I love these kind of traditional wedding dresses and not the typical bride in white kind of thing. It is amazing to see all the differences not jut in the different Indian regions, but also throughout the world, and it makes me wonder arent all these clothes and accessories sometimes too heavy too wear... imagine it in a hot weather outside.

As a side note, I hate weddings as a celebration in real life, I mean really hate them and am thankful that people have figured that out so often they dont invite me to one, which spares me the agony of going to one, as well as trying to find an excuse of why I cannot go :)  But I can deal with them when they are on stamps :)
How about you? How do you feel about weddings?


For more celebratory stamps, head over to today's edition of Sunday Stamps 

7 comments:

  1. Lovely stamps, and your almost wrong theme made me smile - however you know we are a kind and gentle group where the 'rules' are more like suggestions - we would all have enjoyed it, I think.

    I don't mind going to weddings, although most are really not that fun, and I've rarely been to one where the food was decent. My favorite one was an early evening fairly small wedding (about 40 people) at a beautiful conservatory. No guests younger than 16, and there was a pre-ceremony cocktail hour. The bride and groom were in attendance at the cocktail hour, and husband-to-be had to cut her off as she was getting a little tipsy. It did feel a bit weird to have a glass in my hand during the ceremony, however that didn't stop me from taking a sip every now and again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like a wedding I MIGHT go to - small number of guests plus no children... :)

      yeah, I know 'rules' are more suggestions and I wouldnt have been punished... it would have actually been funny if I realized it AFTER having published the post but I will just save the 'anniversary' material for the upcoming 'anniversaries' theme :)

      Delete
    2. I think so many people are confused about what day, week, or month it is!!
      (and I, who sets the themes, have also gotten it wrong and realized on Saturday night as I write up my post that my choice was wrong!)

      Anyway, I find it interesting to see how brides are traditionally dressed in other countries. I don't recall ever having a 'fantasy wedding' when I was young. And I cannot imagine spending so much money on a dress only worn once. And especially one that would likely be so uncomfortable!

      Delete
  2. Nice stamps, but not too comfortable for a wedding party, I guess.

    No hard feelings about weddings; I usually go if I'm invited. It has been ages since the last one I attended. Some are nice, and some are too much drama for me. But I guess everyone makes it (or doesn't make it) the way they wish. Attending isn't compulsory, luckily :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colorful stamps on the cover! I have only been to one wedding that looked like that, was a long affair but it was fun seeing all the festive attire.

    I do not mind going to weddings here as most of them are fairly short affairs. A few years ago I was invited to one. Seemed like a lovely one as the brides family sent out the invites along with menu selections for the reception. Attendees could choose from a delicious salmon, a tender steak, or a roasted chicken dish along with complementary beverages. I chose the steak and mailed my response in as I am certain everyone else did too in anticipation of such a generous soirée. The wedding was a pretty affair. At the reception, the only cuisine provided was a soggy pasta and if you wanted a glass of wine or champagne it was $5 per glass. I suppose the brides family counted the cost and had a big change of mind for the reception fare haha. Many people upon seeing they had been duped, greeted the bride and groom and quickly departed the reception. Well I hope the brides family gave her the saved funds for her honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My granddaughter got married last year. This year Covid has ruined many wedding plans here. FDCs are ideal for such celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indian weddings often have multiple ceremonies just think how that might drag on although the wedding outfits are lovely.

    ReplyDelete