Sunday, May 10, 2020

Fairy Tales, Hungary

I was a bit surprised to see how scarce mothers / children are in my stamps collection. My initial choice was a cat FDC, since the mother cat and the kitty were featured ON the FDC, but not on the actual stamp... and then during my second browsing of my albums, I noticed these, and I knew that would be my choice for today since they all feature children (or dwarfs 😎)


What saddened me is that I actually miss most of the stamps that are part of these two issues, so I guess I will have to work on that now.

Both issues feature fairy tales, with the top two being issued on 15th December 1959, while the bottom two, on 1st December the following year.
Both issues come in a set of 8 stamps, and have the same designers too. Well, ok, the 1959 stamps were designed by Gábor Éva, while the 1960 ones, both by Gábor Éva and Zombory Éva.

I dont think that Gábor Éva has anything to do with the actress of the same name, but just a nice coincidence.

Embarrassed to say I only recognize Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs... the other three seem soooo familiar but I just cant connect them to a name, so if anyone recognizes any of the other three, please mention it in the comments 💙💚💛

I used to read a loooot of fairy tales when I was little, whether it was the Grimm Brothers or Hans Christian Andersen or this fantastic collection of books with a green cover with tales from all over the world - I think that fairy tales are suitable even for grown ups, just that you read them with a different frame of mind compared to when you were a child

And I've learned that today is Mother's Day in some countries, so happy Mother's day to those celebrating.
In Macedonia it is on the 8th of March, and it is a day of buying expensive gifts for teachers and working women leaving early from work and going to a corporate lunch, paid by their company of course - so yeah, that's what Mother's day has mainly turned into here... I wonder what's the situation in other countries?

Hope you had a nice weekend and have a nice week ahead... and dont forget to check the other entries for today 


Edit: Dear Katalin saw my cry for help and helped me out!
So the 40f stamp from 1959 shows "Mattie the Goose-boy", a Hungarian epic-poem by Mihály Fazekas while the 40f stamp from 1960 shows "The miller, his son and the donkey" by La Fontaine (Now I may, just may have read this last one)

Thank you thank you Katalin!!!

9 comments:

  1. These drawings fill me with nostalgia :)
    I think many fairy tales are scarier for adults than children who maybe know they are fantasies and not real life stories.
    Your Mother's Day sounds very different to ours which mostly involves flowers and going out for brunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother's day is becoming something 'all about prestige' totally losing the actual value behind what it is. In some schools it is forbidden to bring expensive presents and only home made cards are accepted for example but in some the parents just have to show off...

      Delete
  2. These are lovely stamps.

    Mother's day in the US pre-covid: young kids make mom a messy breakfast, served in bed with a nice card, leave the kitchen a disaster (which mom may have to clean herself later). Maybe flowers, maybe a gift, maybe go out for a nice meal or activity. Restaurants are very busy for breakfast/brunch/lunch on Mother's Day. Maybe dad takes the kids out for the afternoon to give mom some peace and quiet.

    Today it was cards sent days ago, and phone calls/video calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you cant have it all, both a breakfast and a clean kitchen :D

      Delete
  3. Forgot to add, love the f sitting in the 0 of the value of the stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The coloured one is "The teacher reading fairy tales", I have found. And the tale featured on the green stamp is The Goose Boy, if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fairy tale stamps but like you I only have a few of this series. When I do, by chance, come across some they are always the ones I already have, grrr. Never seen the teacher reading before.
    Mothers Day here used to be called Mothering Sunday because a long time ago it was when people went to their mother church (either the one they were christened in or the main church of the area), today of course its meaning has changed to celebrating mothers and is mostly about cards, chocolate and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Germany has some fine fairy tales stamps as well. Like you I only recognise Snow White on yours.

    ReplyDelete