Sunday, May 6, 2018

The 100th Anniversary of the Inauguration of Constanta Harbour, Romania

If I wasn't as lazy as I am right now, I probably would have been more inventive with the L letter, but unfortunately I am, so I would just go with the first thing that crossed my mind, which, oh so surprisingly are lighthouses ;-D  Well, it is just one but it is still a lighthouse



On 23 December, the Romanian post issued this lovely set of two stamps, commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Inauguration of Constanta Harbour.
The first stamp shows the sailing ship Mircea, while the second one, the Constanta Regele Carol (King Carol) I lighthouse.


The Constanța Harbour is located in Constanța, Romania, on the western coast of the Black Sea, and is the largest Port on the Black Sea and the 17 th largest in Europe. The favourable geographical position and its importance are emphasized by the connection with two Pan-European transport corridors: Corridor VII – Danube (inland waterway) and Corridor IV (railway).


The lighthouse featured on this stamp was dedicated to honor King Carol I, who died in 1914. It is known locally simply as the farul vechi (the old lighthouse) and it has been inactive since 1961.

well, that was quite short :)

For some more interesting L-posts, well you know the drill, click on the following link - Sunday Stamps

6 comments:

  1. Lighthouses stamps are my favourites! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lighthouses are always interesting. And this is a nice souvenir sheet of an area I know little about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without scrolling down to the comments I already knew you would make Eva happy with your choice today. Great mini sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like lighthouses on stamps and this one is rather special and from a country I would not have expected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sailing ships, harbour and lighthouse the perfect trio. I love a stroll around a harbour.

    ReplyDelete