Sunday, May 13, 2018

It is an M day!


Good afternoon folks, it is a Sunday and a day for new post here at myphilatelicpassion.blogspot.ba. First of all want to say thx to Ana for letting me use her blog and (ab)use her faithful followers.
It is an M day and I would like to introduce you to my unusual stamps collecting topic. There are a lot of people collecting stamps on topics like birds, cats, dogs, art, religion, lighthouses, Olympics etc. You could try to guess and say I collect motors and would be still wrong.

They say stamps are like small ambassadors of their countries but there is one thing older and even more ambassador of one’s country.  As the song says Money, money, money must be funny and for me if money is on stamp it is double funny 😀

Collecting coins and banknotes often goes hand in a hand with collecting stamps and I have been collecting both for quite a while when I came upon idea of collecting this particular topic. Will give it a try display few items and who knows maybe someone finds it interesting enough to start collection of their own.



This is oldest stamp in my “Money on stamps” collection Cyprus ¾ Cypriot piastre stamp issued on February 1st 1928. This stamp is lowest face value and part of set of 10 stamps. Usually I go for mint stamps but average sale value of this set is bit on a high side so for now I have to put up with this nice used example 😁

As mentioned stamp is a part of 10 stamps set issued to commemorate 50 years of British rule of Cyprus, recess printed on watermarked paper, perforation 12. It depicts silver Coin of Amathus. Amathus was one of ancient royal cities of Cyprus and coin has a head of roaring lion, which was city emblem, both sides (it was common practice for this type of coins)

Now something bit more modern and to pay my respects for blog owner 😉 

On April 26th 2012 Macedonia issued stamp to commemorate 20 years of monetary independence. Stamp has a face value of 50 Macedonian denars and features 1 denar coin and an ancient Byzantine M type coin (picture is not sharp enough to try to attribute it properly and showing only avers so it will remain partial mystery).   

Macedonia declared its independence from Yugoslavia on 8 September 1991, shortly after, on 26th April 1992 the national bank was established and the denar was declared as official currency, few days after first issue of emergency banknotes was put into circulation (these were more like money coupons), in 1993 Macedonia issued first permanent banknotes.




We are all pretty aware of money importance in our daily life, and while it is true you can’t buy happiness but one can’t deny influence money has on every single person living in modern society. 

Changes in monetary system of any country are kind of very important events but forming of monetary union among multiple countries is epic event with tremendous impact on every country involved. 

Everyone would agree that forming European Monetary Union and common Euro currency was event of century. All countries involved recognized importance and many of them issued stamps commemorating Euro currency.














One of my favorite sets was definitive stamps set issued by Vatican in 2004 consisting of whooping 15 stamps. Each of stamps features one European Monetary Union country flag in background and Euro coin design from corresponding country.






Those stamps remind me of UN series issue that has been issued for a quite few years now, so called flags and coins series. It would be too much to display all of it here but just two pics to show off 😃





Even some non EU countries issued stamps featuring Euro currency, like my country (Bosnia and Herzegovina). 






Speaking of my country I decided to share two more issues also money related ofc.

First, there is this set of three definitive stamps issued in  2002 featuring coins of Bosnian medieval rulers king Tvrtko (0.20 face value), Stjepan Tomaš (0.30 face value) and Stjepan Tomašević (0.50 face value), Stjepan Tomašević was also last sovereign ruler of Bosnia before Otoman empire invaded and occupied country in 1463.





And for the end MS issued by Bosnia And Herzegovina but this time Croat Administration (yes, we have three different and independent postal administrations, each one with its own territory and stamps of each are valid for postage only at corresponding post offices)

MS consists of four stamps with two different designs (two stamps of each design), I personally like design of stamps and a fact they are embossed gives them some luxury appearance, and a price of 20 Bosnian marks for a MS is quite luxury if I can notice (equivalent of 10 euro)😒

Stamps feature ancient Daorson coins. Daorson was a capitol of Daorsi tribe. Daorsi were Hellenised  Illyrian tribe. They adopted Greek language and a lot of their culture. They were quite influential tribe in area of river Neretva valley, possessed their own money (as shown on stamps) and quite powerful navy for that period. They left lot of archeological traces throughout Neretva  valley.


So that was all for today, bet you are exhausted now and I’ll let you go and enjoy rest of this Sunday. Maybe I’ll write sometimes again if Ana finds this was up to her strict standards.

And not to forget for some more interesting M-posts, well you know the drill, click on the following link - Sunday Stamps
 

Sincarely,
 

Danijel

13 comments:

  1. Very interesting post, Danijel & Ana! I had never thought of collecting coins on stamps. I must say that the designs aren't my favourite, but no doubt that it is an excellent theme to learn geography and history.

    Now I'm considering that it is rather unfair that money appears so often on stamps, but... are there coins and banknotes featuring stamps?

    Here you have a link to the latest related issue in Spain. And another interesting one from 2017. Just in case you weren't aware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva,

      Thx for a comment, as for a designs some are better and some worse, personally I like few of those showed above and some are quite dull I have to admit. Then there is an issue with some of them as it is really hard to make an realistic photo due to certain printing techniques like embossed and gold print... As for question re stamps on banknotes/coins I think there are no such issues. Instead there are quite few instances of stamps used instead of money in cases of shortages of small denominations, like in early period USA, some cases in Germany and even Serbia. Spain issue from 2017 I still miss as well as few other coin related issues from Spain an being interested in a swap always so if you can offer some of those stamps please contact me!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Danijel. Can you let me know your e-mail address? (If you don't want to publish it here, please, go to the contact form). Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hi Eva, don't mind giving it here, it is tockipo@gmail.com, looking forward to get in touche with you!

      Delete
  2. That is an amazing collection of money on stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :) It is growing all the time :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting theme with lots of possibly of sub-themes. I like the combination of flags and coins you show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be sub theme for collecting, there is quite a few of these, maybe you should give it a try ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow. I thought coins and banknotes on stamps was a rarity. Clearly, I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was guided by that idea, wrong idea I must say :P, was like great topic and just a few items to collect. At moment I have like two binders full of hagner sheets plus one with sheets, covers and other interesting oddballs bits. I'm like half way trough having complete basic collection. And missing few really pricey items. Btw my birthday is just around a corner in September so think of first issue of Israel in mint condition (can be hinged and whitout tabs) :D :D :D

      Delete
  6. Wow! A theme that I could never have considered. It makes me realise how themeless my collection is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Bob every collection is unique, I tend to like everyone collections, each is different and interesting in some way.

      Delete
  7. This is a very fluid article. I am very pleased with your outstanding work. You have provided very useful information. Keep it on your blog. Looking forward to reading the next article.

    Click Here : Crawler dozers for sale Cat D8L 53Y01551

    ReplyDelete