Sunday, March 21, 2021

Starfish, Cyprus

You are gone for a few months (that almost turned into a year) , you come back, and bang! Blogger has taken a whole new look on the inside!  Not some drastic changes, but just enough to make me lose focus on why I came here in the first place 😏
Somehow Sunday Stamps have always been like a great reason to come back, cos it gives me something in particular to look for instead of having to come up with it myself..
And today's theme is Deep blue sea... which turned out to be more difficult than I had initially thought, and all those stamps I had in mind, turned out I had already posted them before, but I said to myself it would be really a shame to be discourages by such a "tiny" detail :)))
So after quite some browsing, I spotted this issue and I was like, yep this is it! 




 

A nice set of Cyprus stamps from 2007 showing 4 different starfish, and all of them can be found in the Mediterranean Sea. 

The two stamps in the top row show the - 1. Antedon mediterranea or more commonly known as the Mediterranean feather star. 2. Centrostephanus longispinus, or more commonly known as the hatpin urchin.

The bottom row show the 1. Astropecten jonstoni, that doesnt seem to have a more common name in use, and 2. Ophioderma longicauda or more commonly known as Smooth Brittle Star. 


I dont recall having seen a starfish in real life. Maybe when I was little during our holidays at the Adriatic Sea, but I have no such memory. How about you? Ever encountered one? And what was it like?


Hope you are all safe and healthy folks, it is a crazy world out there as we all know it. 


And before you go, check out the other entries for today's Deep Blue Sea challenge :)



8 comments:

  1. Very nice to see you again here with a lovely selection. I have seen urchins and starfish on the Oregon coast and when travel opens up again more, hope to see them again!!! Beautiful creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it is still early to put an end to that era :)) we all dream of going back to travelling as it once was, don't we?

      Delete
  2. So good to see you again!
    As for reposting stamps, I am sure I have done that - after a few years it is nice to see them again :)
    Not sure if I've ever seen a live starfish. I like the common names of these excellent examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might end up doing that one day as well, but for the time being I prefer to show new ones, since there are just so many of them to show :)

      Delete
  3. I love these stamps. I think these creatures deserve more stamps!
    When I was a child wasn't difficult to see starfishes in our coasts. They fascinate me. Not the same kind depicted on these stamps, though. I don't see any nowadays. We have best luck with urchins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen urchins but I do recall during one of our holidays when I was little, that my mum stepped on one... not the best of experiencs

      Delete
  4. Welcome back. Love that brittle star which must be quite a sight underwater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you her again. Starfissh not needed.

    ReplyDelete