Sunday, March 28, 2021

Children's Books, Serbia

I don't know about you, but I love children's literature even though it's been decades since I belonged to that age group. But there is something so beautiful in it, something so unspoilt and pure, that you rarely, if ever see in the books for the older generations.




 


The first of this kind that comes to mind is "The Little Prince". I'm pretty sure that if at least not everyone has read it, that everyone has heard about it. A book that was on the mandatory reading list in the fourth grade, that equals to being 10 years old. A book I really hated back then cos I couldnt understand it, it was so odd and incomprehensible to my 10 year-old-brain. A book I read again around 10 years later and fell in love with it. To this day I still dont know why,, even though it is considered as a children's book, it is put on the reading list at such young age - I just really dont think that brain can get fully immersed in its beauty. 

Another delight of a book (that I read in my adult years) is The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett - if you haven't read it, I really really recommend it - sometimes it takes me by surprise how much of what is considered to be children's literature, is so suitable for adults as well.


And while I'm at it - Neil Gaiman's Coraline is another lovely example to add here :)


In 2010, the theme for the EUROPA's stamps was Children's Books, and Serbia issued these lovely stamps and FDC. A number of titles are hidden in the drawings - can you name them?


And if there is a children's book you'd recommend, please do so - I'd love to read it!


Before I take you to the other children-related posts for today, here is what Serbian post had to say on the subject of Children's Literature:


-Children's Literature singles out as a special literary layer from the aspect of its function and the reader's age. Its main characteristics is belonging to an age where personality is being shaped. The spirit of this particular form of literature is impregnated by signs that are characteristic for childhood: freedom, illusory understanding of live and environment, joy, game, basicness, simplicity, liveliness, etc. Its world is ennobled by joyous charms and composed of fine threads of children's spirit. The main trait of this literary branch is actually one of the decisive roles in child's life. We are here talking about the implementation of beauty, goodness and strength into their spirit: about the art of awakening the curiosity of young minds, learning how to embrace the world with love, and to release the accumulated emotions. The little reader is a young creature who comprehends the world in a different manner and by laws of a different logic. It contemplates and experiences the world though his dreamer's eyes.

The aroused imagination leads the child towards unreachable heights and develops its sensibility. As a driving force of children's discovering of the world, the imagination represents the most powerful means for introducing them into life.

The fame of dream and reality, impossible and supernatural is receptive to the heart of the little reader. The wild and bold imagination broadens its perspectives, frees its thoughts, forms its emotions, enables the comprehension of reality, conjures up to the unknown and invisible, and makes possible the identification with literary heroes.

The imagination creates a new world over which reign other laws of man and nature. 



Check out the other posts here 

9 comments:

  1. That’s a fabulous colorful cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen those stamps, they are wonderful and really capture the wonder and total immersion of reading as a child and the imaginary beings on the cover tie in nicely. I must admit I bought a copy of The Wind in the Willows a couple of years ago because it had been beautifully illustrated by Inga Moore and I have such fond memories of it as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a copy of Wind in the Willows because it was illustrated by Robert Ingpen!

      Delete
    2. Wind in the Willows put on the reading list :)

      Delete
  3. I must say that I read often books intended for children. Also, some books written without an age target, have been later considered "children literature". Good books have not age, in my opinion.
    These stamps are great, as most of 2010 EUROPA stamps. I had never seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, good books have no age, and people shouldnt refrain themselves from reading something just cos it is considered children's literature.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you on children's books - I think I appreciate some of them more as an adult than as a child. At the moment I am reading Black Beauty before giving it to a friend's daughter for her birthday
    Sorry for missing you last week.... and I wish I could get the clues in the pictures of these wonderful stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im curious about your impressions on Black Beauty, another one I havent read (nor heard of actually)

      Delete