Sunday, October 7, 2018

Hedgehogs

The first two words that crossed my mind for today were Horse and Halloween.Until while browsing through my stamps I came across the Hedgehogs. And I knew that this was it!
I love horses, but I am a real die-hard fan of hedgehogs, so there was no doubt what the choice would be between those two.


First is this FDC from Hungary, issued by Magyar Post on 9th April 2013.
Magyar Posta periodically presents the breeds and species of animal indigenous to Hungary and on this occasion the protected predatory and insectivorous mammals the stoat, pygmy shrew, European lynx and greater mouse-eared bat feature on the stamps in the series, the the northern white-breasted hedgehog is shown on the numbered stamp block.

Well, except in Hungary, the hedgehog is also widespread in Poland, Austria, the former Yugoslavia (as we will see below), Greece and the Adriatic Islands, including populations on Crete, Corfu and Rhodes. It is found eastwards through Russia and Ukraine, as far east as the Ob River in Siberia. There are no signs of a significant population decline, fortunately.








The second FDC comes from Bosnia and Herzegovina, issued on 17th April 2018, and presenting as well the White-breasted Hedgehog! I wonder if hedgehog stamps are kinda naturally issued in April for some reason :D



Every summer, there are hedgehogs passing through my backyard (though not that frequently this summer), and sometimes I have the chance to pet them. I wish I could squeeze them and hug them and all but they were just not meant to be for that :) But if I could keep a hedgehog as a pet, I definitely would! They are just beyond beyond adorable!

Well, enough about hedgehogs. For more H-related posts, visit today's edition of Sunday Stamps... and have a great Sunday! 

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic creatures, and fantastic stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, love them both. I can just imagine it snuffling through those leaves, lot of snacks in there I think. Sadly hedgehog numbers here are in decline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love hedgehogs. When I was living in a village in the mountains (my former former place!), they used to pass by the street, because we were at the the end of the village, and it was very calm. At first, I didn't know where that sounds came from!

    But hug one of them... mmm, not a wise idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aawww sweet, hedgehogs were always present in childhood stories, but sadly not many to be seen in my area

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hedgehogs, too! This might be the first time I see hedgehogs featured on stamps. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hedgehogs are becoming rarer and rarer here. Perhaps April is the time of year when they come out of hibernation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a hedgehog in the wild, or on a stamp. They are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete