Sunday, December 16, 2012

Dickens' Christmas Stories, Anguilla

Hello all from Skopje at 0 degrees Celsius...which I must say is much better compared to the previous days of -10 till -15...we had our first snow too, a LOT of snow, which on the first day was just fantastic despite all the chaos it caused....but now, everything is just grey and icy...
It is also a reminder that winter is coming (officially) and along with that, all the holidays too (which im NOT fond of - yeah, im one of those who shudder at the thought of the New Year euphoria). I don't know if you know, but here we celebrate the Orthodox Christmas which is on January 7, so the euphoria here revolves around New Year's Eve, while Christmas is more of a calm day and we dont really have the Christmas kind of spirit and atmosphere that we see the western world has....just saying :)

Anyways, it is also time for some Christmas stamps, and today I picked these coming from Anguilla which I  have these from since I was a child...my mum used to buy these for me when she'd be getting stamps for her at the philately, and Im glad she did, coz these are just gorgeous...so lovely and colourful and plus, coming from some rare countries from where I hardly doubt id get any other stamps!
(unfortunately, with all these sets im missing a stamp or two in each of them, and I really dont know how to find just the ones im missing, coz the dealers seem to be selling whole sets only...so if anyone could help, please, let me know :) From this one in particular im missing two and this set was issued in 1983 and on the stamps you have Christmas stories represented by Charles Dickens.




The first three stamps show the "Cricket on the Hearth", which was released 20 December 1845 and it talks about a cricket that constantly chirps on the hearth and acts as a guardian angel to the Peerybingle family.
If you want, you can watch the animated version on YouTube...seems perfect for the Christmas morning :)





these two stamps refer to Dickens' "A Christmas Carol"



It was first published on 19 December 1843. The story tells of sour and stingy Ebenezer Scrooge's ideological, ethical, and emotional transformation resulting from supernatural visits from Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come. The book has never been out of print, and has been adapted to film, stage, opera, and other media multiple times.
For those who want to take a look at an animated version, you can check this one on YouTube




And the last two stamps I have from the set, refer to Dickens' story "The Chimes - A Goblin Story of Some Bells that Rang an Old Year Out and a New Year In". It is a short novel, written and published in 1844, one year after A Christmas Carol and one year before The Cricket on the Hearth.


Unfortunately, there is no animated version of it on YouTube, but if anyone is interested in the Audio book, you can listen to it while doing the chores and errands in the house...it consists of 4 parts (or quarters), so it is rather lengthy, over 4 hours in total, but it may be convenient for the cold dark winter days when you just dont feel like moving out of the house :)



lets see how the pre-Christmas spirit has inspired the others...click on the button below...and have a great  Sunday! :)



8 comments:

  1. I never heard of the "Cricket on the Hearth" story before. I'll have to look for and read the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's funny, I just came from Willa's post and she has Disney and Dickens too. All new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already said on Willa's post that I am a Dickens fan. I have all his Christmas books on my Kindle, but no audio versions. These are a great set of stamps from a country which I would not have expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling more Christmasy in spirit! Thank you for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stamps have prompted me to look up these other Christmas stories. I believe I have them somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are popular today! And sooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of Cricket on the Hearth, but thanks to you and a small Caribbean country I do now! (Your query:- The collectors on www.catawiki.com sell individual stamps. Don't know if it will fill your gaps. I have never bought through the site, only attempted to catalogue my stamps.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're great looking stamps makes everyone who see it feels the holiday spirit.
    My Sunday Stamp#44:Christmas

    ReplyDelete